Mental Health Support and Counselling in Schools
‘Evidence shows that school staff, children and young people evaluating the service, are positive about school-based counselling, viewing it as an effective way of bringing about improvements in mental health and well-being, and helping children and young people to engage with studying and learning. It is an accessible service, increasing the range of options available to children and young people who need to talk to a professional about problems in their lives’. Dept of Education 2015
The most common problems a counsellor will come across in schools are
- Family issues
- Self -harm
- Attention disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Substance Misuse
Provisions for children and young people
I work with primary and secondary age children across the UK to support children and young people aged 5-18 years old. I offer the following services-
- 1-to-1 counselling and short term CBT based sessions
- Sessional, morning and full day services to suit individual school needs whether organised sessions for pupils, a dropin service during break times or staff counselling
- Groupwork for example anger, exam stress, anxiety, self-harm etc
- Provisions for staff
Supervision and advice for staff.
Support and advice on Safeguarding and Child Protection.
Workshops and training days on for recognising self- harm, attachment difficulties, anger management
- Multidisciplinary working with other agencies including CAMHS, voluntary sector partners and community groups
Provisions for parents and carers
- One-to-one counselling for parents and carers, family sessions, working together sessions
Effectiveness of our counselling services in school
The effectiveness of having an in school counsellor is evidenced by increased wellbeing- measured using Goodman’s Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire, attendance, calmer pupil behaviour and fewer disruptions in class with better and more focused attitudes towards learning Schools not having funds to pay for the service
To find out more about having Mindsense in your school contact our Marie Tomasso at email@example.com to discuss how your school can be supported.